This presentation discusses the stages of critical reading and critical thinking that precedes critical analytical writing. It then introduces SQuEES, a writing model that helps develop critical thinking and compels students toward analytical depth and insight. The presentation utilizes a sample prompt, scoring guide, and student essays from Milton’s Paradise Lost. While the presentation focuses on poetry, the SQuEES method is directly and immediately applicable to other genres for analytical writing.
APAC 2016 Teaching Analytical Writing
- Critical Reading, Critical Thinking, and SQuEES
- Paradise Lost Passage and Sample Essays
- Verbs and Thesis List
- Tone and Figurative Language Template Sheet
- Writing Analytically 101
- 2010 AP Lit Exile Annotated Scoring Pack
- 2013 AP Lit Brangwen Annotated Scoring Pack
- 2011 AP Lang Kelley Annotated Scoring Pack
Feel free to leave a comment or provide feedback about the presentation.
July 21, 2016 at 1:43 am
Thank you for great presentation and great ideas.
July 21, 2016 at 10:16 pm
Thanks for the feedback! I am so glad you attended and found the information useful. Best wishes for an excellent school year!